Tuesday, April 24, 2012

So much has happened!

#1 I am happy to report that I am dying no faster than any of the rest of you. A friend told me I should have about 40 more years left or so. I'll take it! 
Turns out biopsy was negative!
 *happy dance , happy dance, happy dance!* 
 Precancerous cysts and fibroids are something I can deal with. I am having surgery to remove pretty much everything  reproductive wise at the beginning of June. Since I already have a passel of amazing kiddos,  I'm TOTALLY OK with that. No more PMS,  no more sending hubby out to buy feminine products (and yes, yes he does love me - that proves it!), no more Midol and no more crazy mood swings!!! We are going to shoot for keeping one of the ovaries, so hopefully I won't have all the hormonal issues that could accompany this procedure.

(happy little sigh)...

#2 My oncologist wants to keep a closer eye on me (picturing the All Seeing Eye and it's starting to creep me out...), SO what that means is I have a bunch of pokes and prods coming up. Since it is almost June (the anniversary of my surgery) he thought we could get an early start...

So to recap, I have upcoming: PET scan, mammogram, endoscopy, colonoscopy, and of course the hysterectomy and all accompanying tests, blood work  and check ups. (big sigh)  But its all good, I'm here to watch my kids wrestle each other, dress the dog up as the Hulk  (pretty funny BTW... Good thing we have an UBER patient dog...), and take my oldest to his orchestra rehearsals ( he plays the viola). I get to giggle as I listen to my younger one went retreating into my closet to sing sad and rambling made up songs about how mom doesn't listen to him and he is SO a big kid and SHOULD be able to play with the older kids, and he IS a big boy, but no one understands, and  - ooo hey look a nickel! ...  I get too smile and play the tooth fairy, kiss  my babies in their sleep, revel in the visits from my bonus kids, take pride in their accomplishments, and sit on my hubby's lap. I'm really OK with that.

#3 I have been doing much better blood pressure wise, but it is still a bit too low.  I try my best to keep it in the 90/60s range and am ecstatic when I can break 100/70. That doesn't happen too often though.  My weight has been giving me fits and starts. I was surprisingly not a happy camper when I bought my first size 3 jeans. (WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM???!!) I range from 109 to 115 but I am trying my darnest to get to a good healthy 125. I would prefer 130, as I would prefer LOTSA room between me and Dolores,  but beggars can't be choosers as they say.

#4 I'm having issues with gas of all things! It makes my tummy distend to look like I am about four months preggers and only a few well timed bits of ... a-hem... flatulence usually handles it. Well, you SAID you wanted to know how I was! (revisiting the cartoon previously posted... ). But that's about it, I don't have issues with dumping and that in and of itself is phenomenal, so I can't complain. Still have trouble with fats and sugars, and make sure my diet steers clear of those, but that is a healthier way to live anyway.

I think that's it for now, I'll keep you updated as testing comes in and as plans progress for surgery and such.  Until then, wish me happy farting...um I mean, good luck... (*sheepish  grin)

2 comments:

Just Jo said...

Stacy I'm not sure if you check this site often. We have an appointment in LA at USC to see a surgeon for my husband Esophageal cancer. Where did you have surgery, which doctor? I found you site searching for answers.

Jo

Stacey said...

I went to Cedar Sinai and Dr Harmik Soukasian was my surgeon. I have no knowledge of USC or its doctors I wish I could help you there. But aslong as you feel comfortable with your surgeon and have done homework on his background, you will be hunky dory.
You might want to ask your surgeon about injecting your pyloric valve with botox instead of cutting it. I am convinced that part of the procedure is what has saved me from future complications such as dumping.
I would be happy to help with any venting you or your hubby may need to do or with answering any questions or whatever. Sometimes it helps to talk to someone who has been there. my email is clarkmomma@mail.com and if you want it I can email my phone number.
If I can I would leave you two bits of advice.
#1 Don't pay any attention to statistics. Your hubby is an individual not a number. Its hard to remember that I was given a 15% chance of living past the first year when I am out and about 3 years later running kids to cub scouts, wrestling or helping with a paper mache' dinosaur for a school project. When i am busy thinking up ways to spoil my sweet family or flying kites with them or giggling as I join in the horseplay in the living room. Please, don't waste you energy on worrying. we prepared for the worst, but planned on the best. I set my living will in order and even set up guardianship for my kids if something were to happen to my hubby or me or both. But I was determined to beat that horrid 15% number. In the end I learned it was just a number. I am not a number.and neither are you.
#2 Positive attitude. to help keep mine I kept a picture of my children near to keep reminding me I was fighting for more than just myself. You find your own motivation and whatever it is, when the going gets tough ( and it will) you can draw strength when you most need it. My oncologist once told me that within reason, I tolerated my chemo well because I chose to tolerate it well. That doesn't mean I wasn't sick as a dog and prayed for relief from the nausea and pain, but I refused to give up and I took every bit of the treatments meted out so I could live to see my kids grow up.

This is where the rubber meets the road, where the tough are separated from the weaklings. where you can expect a rough time of it but still choose to power through it, making the courageous stand apart from the cowards.
I took the liberty of reading a few entries from your blog and frankly I put you people in the "Definitely Can Do This" category . You strike me as strong people who can metal this out.

Doesn't mean its going to be easy. opposite of easy if you ask me. But as I said, please feel free use me as a resource. I am happy to be here for you even if you need a listening ear.
All my best to you both,
Stacey

why I fight

why I fight
my family